Strange Musings *hyuk*
Friday, September 09, 2005
  10:08 PM — (Katrina + Hidradenitis) Victims
If you or someone you know suffers from hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) and was affected by hurricane Katrina, an online group has started a contact list so you can let friends/family know if you are safe and your whereabouts. If you haven't noticed either of my two posts this year on HS, it's a potentially debilitating skin disease affecting a small portion of the population, and therefore little research is being done on a cure or treatments. You know those stories you hear on CNN about people being physically unable to leave their houses due to things like needing kidney dialysis or oxygen tanks? Well there may just have been one person unable to leave her home because of the grapefruit sized sores on her thighs, chest, and arpits that make any motion blindingly painful. And yet, it's extremely difficult for these individuals to get disability payments.

...

I kept hunting in my archives for an essay I wrote about what it's like to have HS, and then realized I hadn't posted it when I wrote it, but just saved it on my computer, b/c I feared it was too morbid. I'm going to have to read over it again and see if I'm willing to put it up.
 

Comments: Post a Comment

Main Blog
*hyuk*



WARNING: This blog often contains disturbing stories of science and math as used in every day life.

If you are easily disturbed or a Luddite, surf on elsewhere.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States
ARCHIVES
October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / February 2004 / March 2004 / May 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 /


Tools

Get more hits on your blog!

website stat
visitors since Sept 2005
Site Stats
Google


My Blogs
Friendly Blogs
Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) links
CURRENT MOON
moon phase

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?