Strange Musings *hyuk*
Thursday, June 16, 2005
  1:58 AM — Swipe your card
A month or two ago my poor friend JSue discovered someone had ripped off her debit card info. Apparently some store (or crooked employee) she visited had stored her card data, used it to create a fake card, and then went on a shopping spree at a 7-11. Luckily, her bank noticed this, stopped the charge, notified her, and she wasn't liable for a single TicTac. Well, just a few days ago it happened again, this time with a credit card and a $4,000 jewelry purchase.

I immediately assumed that it was probably one location doing the card info theft, and that J should cross-reference her statements to determine where it was. In explaining it to T$, I said that I thought it was more likely that it'd be one place than two places, and even if it wasn't it's easier to pursue the possibility of it being a single place so she should act upon that assumption until proven wrong. Which made me doubt my thought that it was a single place. I started musing it statistically, and most of the content from this post was emailed to my former roommate, Jethereal, whom teaches statistics, for verification.

Assume the chance of one store being crooked (or having a crooked employee, same difference) is x (x is a fraction likely <<1). The chance of any OTHER store also being crooked is also x, as I'll assume every store is indistinguishable. Assuming you already have a crooked store, assume the chance of them ripping YOU off is y (y is a fraction <1, but maybe not <<1).



(I believe the second in the "one store twice" x turns into a 1 b/c if it was crooked before, it's still crooked, but each time you have a certain chance they'll rip you off. The same store being still crooked is a dependent event.)
Assuming x<1, y<1, implies xy^2 < x^2*y^2, so it's more likely that J had her data ripped off at a single store than two separate stores.
 

Comments:
All this may be true, however, the probability that I would like to kick some slimy bastard's ass is

P = 1,

where there is no dependence on number of stores visited, amount spent, phases of the moon, or anything else. :)

I used my credit card at relatively few stores in between when my debit card was stolen and my credit card was stolen. So once I get the list of merchants visited, I'll hopefully be able to narrow it down. And THEN the ass-kicking will begin!
 
Post a Comment

Main Blog
*hyuk*



WARNING: This blog often contains disturbing stories of science and math as used in every day life.

If you are easily disturbed or a Luddite, surf on elsewhere.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England, United States
ARCHIVES
October 2003 / November 2003 / December 2003 / February 2004 / March 2004 / May 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 /


Tools

Get more hits on your blog!

website stat
visitors since Sept 2005
Site Stats
Google


My Blogs
Friendly Blogs
Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) links
CURRENT MOON
moon phase

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?